Thursday, November 24, 2005

No, I am not in favor of piracy

I feel like I should take a moment to clarify my position on piracy of movies and intellectual property rights. I do not condone the theft of intellectual property through piracy. My criticism of the entertainment industry and recently of the MPAA stems not from their desire to protect the property of their members. My criticism is of their approach. Instead of being solutions driven they are using the business equivalent of violence, by attacking individuals who have downloaded movies.

I truly believe that the majority of people downloading illegal copies of movies are not doing it because they do not want to pay or that they want to steal. I think that they want something that is not available to them through any legitimate means. I believe that the majority of people downloading movies just want to be able to download newly released, movies on demand and would be more than happy to have an Itunes or Rhapsody model to do it. If such a system was available only those with a desire to steal the movies would be downloading illegally.

Movie Link: I just want to be clear incase any MPAA people actually read this and say to them selves, “We did that it is called Movie Link.”. Movie Link is not the above mentioned solution. Movie Link costs more that the video store and only has old movies, so to say it plainly Movie Link is too expensive and out of date to be a viable solution.

Ok, I am done talking about the MPAA, I am going to go digg something else to talk about.

No comments: